Are women or men better at the DJ console? What are the obstacles and how to deal with them within the Serbian music scene ? What indicates that you have succeeded in business and private life? Aleksandra Duende, who is currently considered one of the most popular DJs on the local scene shares her road to success.
1. What were your beginnings in the music world, what attracted you to the DJ console?
At the beginning of my DJ career I was “learning the ropes” in a Belgrade restaurant, where four times a week I played. That is how I learned to use the equipment. When I mastered that, I began to work in other bars and later in the clubs and at festivals.
2. Was it difficult to become known as a woman DJ in Serbia?
Personally, I have not encountered many obstacles being a woman in a business that is dominated by men. I even consider it as a benefit, and I think it is one of the factors for which I was noticed from the start.
3. What do you think of DJ and clubbing scene in Serbia?
The DJ scene in Serbia has in some ways made a lot of progress, but on the other hand it is also regressing. There are new young enthusiasts who are very good, but the scene is varied. If you compare to the situation many years ago and the way in which the cult was fostered and respected, I believe that sometimes it’s only a question of trend at the expense of quality.
4. Where in our capital is the best music played, what clubs would you recommend to foreigners not miss when they come to our country?
I could not single out just one place. On the other hand I can not say that there are many of them. Perhaps just enough for Belgrade.
5. Is there anyone among the foreign DJs you would like to work with and at which world festival would you like to play your mix?
Regarding performing abroad, I would prefer to play in clubs rather than festivals. Actually, there are plenty of quality contents and many festivals that are really praiseworthy. Since I love the sea, my great desire is to play at the BPM festival in Tulum in Mexico.
6. Which of your performances do you remember fondly and where will we have the opportunity to hear you next?
I remember a lot of good parties but the most recent is the Green Love Festival in The “Spence” sports Hall in Novi Sad. In the near future you will be able to hear me in Belgrade, Novi Sad, Kragujevac, and other places. Those who are interested in the exact schedule can have a look at my Facebook page – Aleksandra Duende and on Instagram Profile @ aleksandra.duende.
7. In addition to music you do, it is interesting that you have recently completed your studies in engineering management but you also can design jewelry. What will prevail and how would you like to develop your career in the future?
I completed my studies a few months ago and in addition to jewelry I also design clothes within the fashion brand DAIRE. As far as future plans are concerned, we are opening a new concept store – Concept Bohemian at 55 Karadjordjeva St. in Belgrade, where my, as well as other designers’ creations will be exhibited. A small hippie commune in the heart of Savamala.
8. Tell us more about the campaign, who is for you Jedini pravi (the only true one), of which you were one of the celebrity endorsers and how do you feel about the Gorki List?
Gorki list for me is a brand that has a strong character, excellent quality and a lot of style in everything it does. My experience with the campaign was wonderful and I really liked the concept from the very beginning, the images and the complete branding. My words of gratitude to the entire campaign and the wonderful team of young, creative and enthusiastic people from Gorky List.
9. And finally, tell us whether a bitter taste in the mouth could be good.
When bitter tastes good, then you know that you are mature, successful and that you have arrived.